Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I'm loving this internship

Why I love my internship:

1. I'm becoming the "art closet" expert (that's what the curator said)... I'm one of the only ones there really fascinated by the art in that closet, so I'm spending a LOT of time in there. I find new things all the time.

2. There are 55 Japanese woodblock prints that we're going to sell before January (that's when the gallery's director goes to Japan).... those prints have been my project for a couple of months now, so I'm very excited that some will generate some $$ for the other works to be restored, and some will be in the March 2009 exhibit, "Out of the Closet: An Art Collection Revealed."

3. I found a new engraving today and did some research on it... it's "Anne Page and Slender: A Scene From 'The Merry Wives of Windsor'"... I love finding engravings that have a cool back-story. Like another one, "The Poet and the Players: A Scene From Gil Blas" or "Paris and Oenone." Stuff I can really do some reading on.

4. I'm working on condition reports... basically, photographing the works, printing them out, and drawing spots, soil, mold, etc. on the photograph - in places it corresponds to the actual work. This will help us determine how much money it will cost to restore each one (and what will be worth the money to restore).

5. I'm working on an online catalog that will be a partner to the painting/print exhibit in March 2009... I was actually working on it as an online exhibit and then the curator said that she was inspired by me and she wanted to make it a real-live exhibit! You have no idea how much that meant to me.

6. I'm doing research for the plaques, which will come from my catalog work.

I hope I'm up to this! :)

No comments: