Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My first post... let's make this a good one.

Why "The Flight of the Bumblebee"?

If you're bipolar, you'll know why.

I was diagnosed after being hospitalized this past February (2008). I'd really been showing symptoms of mania since 2005, and things got really bad (mixed states at times) in summer 2007 - spring 2008. I won't go into details about what preceded the hospitalization - I don't really like to go back to that point. But I am very grateful I found the help that I needed... at first, my meds weren't right, but now they are. I feel like I did before 2005, which is a great feeling.

When I was in an out-patient program, another BPer said that he felt like his brain was doing a dance to the Flight of the Bumblebees when he was manic. That stuck with me, and that's why I named this blog that.

I'm doing really well now... I have a kick-ass museum/historical society internship and I'm looking forward to going to grad school in art history (I'm between undergrad and grad right now). My internship gives me a ton of autonomy and amazing experiences to put on my resume.

My husband Jon and I are also planning on starting a family soon. I've talked to two reproductive psychiatrists and my own psychiatrist and we have a plan for the pregnancy.

What else should you know about me?

1. I'm a Classics freak... point me towards the Greek/Roman stuff and I'll be there all day
2. I absolutely love blue topaz (it's my birth stone)
3. I make cold-process soap (check out my other blog - I'm bad with updating it though)
4. I have a soap business on Etsy ( My Soap Store )
5. I have 4 cats - Chloe, Nino (the Bean), Owen (Bobo), and Romulus (Rommy)
6. We live with my mom and she has 3 cats - Midnight, Oliver, and Kacie
7. My husband Jon is a chemist and works for a fragrance oil company (free samples!)
8. I'm a vegetarian and have been so for almost 5 years
9. I plan on raising my children vegetarian
10. I'm a huge supporter of adoption, and plan to adopt one day
11. I want to work at the Metropolitan Museum of Art (NYC) one day
12. I want an internship with Christie's auction house (NYC) before grad school
13. I make wine and beer at home with Jon
14. I love swapping bath & body products and pampering myself with the goodies I get
15. I'm a huge Obama supporter
16. I don't drive for medical reasons
17. I have abnormally low blood pressure and it makes me dizzy at times (I was hospitalized for it in 2001)
18. I love peanut butter... it's my weakness (even more than chocolate)
19. I've been to England, Ireland, Scotland, and France, but never to Canada or Mexico
20. I love to make "pop" graphics on the computer
21. I love to go hiking with my husband
22. I used to be a diet Coke addict, but I'm only drinking one a day now
23. I've gained 30 pounds on my previous medication and still haven't gotten it off
24. I'm 24 years old, turning 25 in December

There's definitely more... but those are some of the things I see me talking about more in-depth later, so I just thought I'd put that out there.

What is this blog for?

This blog is for my day-to-day ramblings about different topics I find important or at least vaguely interesting, as well as links to articles on different subjects. It may include politics, art, bath and body, animals, the environment, food recipes, hiking tips, bipolar topics, and personal stuff happening in my life.

Check back often for more! :)

No comments: